Top 10 Reminders for Unlocking the Keys to Band Success (thanks to LapBand Gal!)
- The band is not primarily about restriction
- The band is first about reduced appetite (hunger) and eating less.
- Always stop eating when you no longer feel physically hungry. This may be long before you actually feel full.
- Measure foods, eat only the amount you measure, and then walk away.
- Do not rely on your stomach "feeling full" as your signal to stop eating. This can easily lead to chronic overeating because the stomach "tells" the brain it's full about 20 minutes after it actually is.
- Never eat until you are "stuffed."
- Never eat more simply because you can.
- The key to successful weight loss is not how much you can eat, but how little you can eat to suppress appetite.
- Pay close attention to your bodies signals that you are done eating. For some people this can be hiccups, a runny nose, watery eyes, a sigh, or a slight pain in the left shoulder. What does you body tell you?
- The band is a tool, you are the user, the controller, of the tool. Like any tool, it is only as effective as the person using it. You can use is effectively (like hitting the hammer on the head of the nail) or ineffectively (hit the hammer all around the nail). You control the tool, not the other way around By being careful and attentive you too will become a Band master.
I agree with all of these rules.... I'm still learning my true body signals but I sometimes end up with the hiccups and sometimes do the "big sigh". I want to be a Band Master!